Are you searching for some useful sun idioms?
You are in the right place.
In this post, we are going to look at 23 sun idioms, what they mean and how to use them in a sentence.
23 Sun Idioms And Phrases (Meaning & Examples)
1. One’s Moment In The Sun
- Meaning: to enjoy a brief period when one has become successful famous, popular, etc.
- Use In A Sentence: Dave had his moment in the sun when one of his YouTube videos became super popular.
2. One’s Place In The Sun
- Meaning: to be in a position where one is very happy and they have everything they ever wanted. It usually refers to a professional setting or to one’s career.
- Use In A Sentence: When he was offered his dream job, he felt like he finally had earned his place in the sun.
3. As If The Sun Shines Out One’s Backside
- Meaning: used to describe a person who is arrogant. A person that thinks they are better or more important than others.
- Use In A Sentence: Ever since she got a promotion at work, she walks around the office as if the sun shines out of her backside.
4. Happy Is The Bride That The Sun Shines On
- Meaning: some believe it is good luck to have a sunny day on one’s wedding day.
- Use In A Sentence: What a beautiful day for a wedding. Well, you know the expression, happy is the bride that the sun shines on.
5. To Make Hay While The Sun Shines
- Meaning: to take advantage of a good situation that probably won’t last very long.
- Use In A Sentence: Now that we have everyone together in the same place, let’s make hay while the sun shines and talk about everything that needs to be talked about.
6. To Rise With The Sun
- Meaning: to get out of bed early in the morning.
- Use In A Sentence: Paul has been in the habit of rising with the sun ever since he was a teenager.
7. Sun Belt
- Meaning: the southern states in the United States that are known for warm sunny weather.
- Use In A Sentence: Many people from Maine like to travel to the sunbelt in order to avoid those cold winter months.
8. The Sun Is Over The Yardarm
- Meaning: used to say that it is late enough in the day to enjoy an alcoholic drink.
- Use In A Sentence: The sun is over the yardarm so why don’t we go downtown and get a drink.
9. To Think The Sun Rises And Sets On Someone
- Meaning: to think someone is the most important person in the world.
- Use In A Sentence: Megan loves her boyfriend Steve. She thinks the sun rises and sets on him.
10. Where The Sun Don’t Shine
- Meaning: one’s butt.
- Use In A Sentence: I don’t care what he says about his new computer. He can shove it where the sun don’t shine for all I care.
11. One’s Sun Has Set
- Meaning: used to express when one has died.
- Use In A Sentence: It has been years since Joe’s Sun has set and yet he is still well known for his beautiful paintings.
12. A Touch Of The Sun
- Meaning: to suffer from a mild case of sunstroke. It can also refer to a mild sunburn.
- Use In A Sentence: It looks like you got a touch of the sun today. Did you go to the beach?
13. Catch The Sun
- Meaning: to get sunburned.
- Use In A Sentence: It looks like you caught the sun on your face. it is all red.
14. Everything Under The Sun
- Meaning: everything a person can imagine.
- Use In A Sentence: It looks like Jen decided to bring everything under the sun on her trip.
15. To Have The Sun In One’s Eyes
- Meaning: to not be able to see because the sun is shining too brightly.
- Use In A Sentence: I can’t drive with the sun in my eyes, can I use your sunglasses?
16. To Head For The Setting Sun
- Meaning: to travel west in order to avoid trouble with the law.
- Use In A Sentence: I don’t know if you know this, but the police are looking for you. I think it would be best for you to head for the setting sun and hope they don’t find you.
17. Never Let The Sun Go Down On Your Anger
- Meaning: to not go to bed when you are still angry with another person. It is best to make peace before going to bed.
- Use In A Sentence: I know you are mad at Brad, but you should never let the sun go down on your anger.
18. To Soak Up The Sun
- Meaning: to take in the sunshine as much as possible
- Use In A Sentence: I can’t wait to go to the beach this weekend and soak up the sun.
19. There Is Nothing New Under The Sun
- Meaning: there is nothing in the world that has not happened before.
- Use In A Sentence: What did you think of the book? It was okay, nothing new under the sun.
20. Sun Worshipper
- Meaning: a person who enjoys spending a lot of time in the sun, usually tanning or on the beach.
- Use In A Sentence: Judy spent all weekend on the beach. She is a real sun-worshipper.
21. To Go To Bed With The Sun
- Meaning: to go to bed early. To go to bed at sunset.
- Use In A Sentence: Every member of my family likes to go to bed with the sun, but I like to stay up late.
22. Rain Or Shine
- Meaning: To do something whether it is raining outside or the sun is shining.
- Example In A Sentence: The company picnic is at 4 pm, rain or shine.
23. Rise And Shine
- Meaning: wake up, get out of bed and start your day!
- Use In A Sentence: Rise and Shine! It is your first day at school.
There you have it! 23 Sun Idioms And Phrases. Which one is your favorite? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.