Are you looking for some useful idioms to express happiness?
If so, you have come to the right place.
In this post, we are going to look at 27 Happy Idioms.
We are going to talk about their meaning and how they can be used in everyday conversation.
I hope you enjoy! Let’s begin.
27 Happy Idioms & Phrases ( Meaning & Examples)
1. To Be Happy As A Clam
- Meaning: to be joyful.
- Synonyms: to be happy as a clam at high tide, to be happy as a clam in butter sauce, happy as a pig in mud, happy as a lark, happy as a duck.
- Use In A Sentence: She is as happy as a clam to be with her dad again.
2. To Be A Happy Camper
- Meaning: to be in good spirits.
- Use In A Sentence: Mom is not going to be a happy camper when she finds out Jared broke her favorite dish.
3. To Be Happy Go Lucky
- Meaning: used to describe a person that is always in a good mood.
- Use In A Sentence: Laurie is so happy go lucky, I have never seen her in a bad mood.
4. To Be Happy To Do Something
- Meaning: to be glad to do something.
- Use In A Sentence: Is there anything I can help with? I’d be happy to help wash the dishes.
5. To Be On Cloud Nine
- Meaning: to be joyful usually after something good happens.
- Use In A Sentence: Ever since Jason asked Amy to be his girlfriend, she has been on cloud nine.
6. To Be Like A Dog With Two Tails
- Meaning: to look and be happy.
- Use In A Sentence: Luke was like a dog with two tails when he saw the gift his mom bought him.
7. To Be Happy As The Day Is Long
- Meaning: very content.
- Use In A Sentence: Do you think grandpa will like this gift? I think he will be as happy as the day is long with whatever gift you buy him.
8. Slap – Happy
- Meaning: to describe someone who is giddy or cheerful.
- Use In A Sentence: Make sure the boys are in bed before 10. When they stay up to late they get slap happy.
9. To Be On Top Of The World
- Meaning: to be cheerful or ecstatic usually as the result of something good happening.
- Use In A Sentence: Ever since he got that promotion Tom has been on top of the world. There is nothing that could make him sad.
10. To Be Over The Moon
- Meaning: to be in good spirits.
- Use In A Sentence: Mom will be over the moon to see that the boys made dinner while she was at work.
11. To Be In Seventh Heaven
- Meaning: to be in a state of extreme happiness.
- Use In A Sentence: Katie has been in seventh heaven ever since Larry proposed.
12. Life’s A Beach
- Meaning: when one’s life is going really well and the person is extremely jubilant.
- Example In A Sentence: Mario got a new job and he bought a brand new house. Wow, life’s a beach for him.
13. To Walk/Float On Air
- Meaning: to be extremely joyful.
- Use In A Sentence: Mary has been walking on air ever since she found out she was going to have a baby.
14. To Be In One’s Place In The Sun
- Meaning: to be in a position where one is very happy and they have everything they ever wanted. It is oftentimes used to talk about someone’s career.
- Use In A Sentence: When they offered Greg the VP position, he felt like he finally had earned his place in the sun.
15. To Be With A Light Heart
- Meaning: in a cheerful, happy state.
- Example Sentence: After speaking to her boss about her concerns she left with a light heart.
16. To Be All Smiles
- Meaning: used to describe a person that is visibly cheerful.
- Use In A Sentence: Doug was all smiles after he proposed to his girlfriend and she said “yes!”.
17. To Smile/Grin/Beam From Ear To Ear
- Meaning: to have a big smile or to smile a lot because you are very happy about something.
- Use In A Sentence: Why is Jack so happy? He has been smiling from ear to ear all day today.
18. To Put A Smile On One’s Face
- Meaning: to make a person smile or to lift their spirits.
- Use In A Sentence: Nothing puts a smile on her face more than walking the beach hand in hand with her husband.
19. To Be Tickled Pink
- Meaning: to greatly please someone.
- Use In A Sentence: Wendy was tickled pink that he remember he name.
20. To Have A Ball
- Meaning: to have an enjoyable experience.
- Use In A Sentence: Thanks for inviting us, we had a ball last night.
21. To Leap For Joy
- Meaning: to be so happy it causes one to jump up and down.
- Use In A Sentence: Brittany leaped for joy when her boyfriend surprised her with a diamond ring.
22. To Burst With Joy
- Meaning: to be so happy about something that you aren’t able to contain it.
- Use In A Sentence: Emma and Ivan burst with joy when their parents told them they were going to go to Disneyland this summer.
23. To Weep With Joy
- Meaning: to be so happy that it causes one to shed tears.
- Use In A Sentence: After being missing for 3 days Alice wept for joy when she learned that her boy was found.
24. To Be Full Of The Joys Of Spring
- Meaning: to extremely content.
- Use In A Sentence: Rose was full of the joys of spring when she came home from work and her husband had surprised her with her favorite dinner.
25. To Paint The Town Red
- Meaning: to go out and celebrate. Oftentimes with dancing and a lot of alcohol.
- Use In A Sentence: Jason and Lisa went out and painted the town red last night.
26. To Be Thrilled To Bits
- Meaning: to be ecstatic, pleased, or excited about something.
- Use In A Sentence: I was thrilled to bits to get an A on the exam.
27. To Make Someone’s Day
- Meaning: to make a person feel good.
- Use In A Sentence: It makes my day when I hear my children playing in the backyard.
There you have it! 27 Happy Idioms! Did we miss one? If so, be sure to let us know in the comment section below.