Are you looking for the best rain idioms?
You are in the right place.
We are going to look at 17 different idioms about rain.
17 Rain Idioms You Should Know (Meaning & Examples)
It’s raining cats and dogs
- Meaning: To be raining very heavily outside
- Example In A Sentence: Kids, do not go outside. It’s raining cats and dogs!
Rain or shine
- Meaning: To do something whether it is raining outside or the sun is shining.
- Example In A Sentence: The baseball game is at 4 pm, rain or shine.
To rain on (someone’s) parade
- Meaning: To spoil something for someone, to ruin one’s plans or tone down their excitement.
- Example In A Sentence: Please, whatever you do, do not rain on your sister’s parade.
It’s raining men
- Meaning: To imply there are many attractive men around.
- Example In A Sentence: Sarah, you need to go to the pool hall. It’s raining men there.
Saving for a rainy day
- Meaning: To save or keep something, until it is truly needed.
- Example In A Sentence: I’m saving my money from Grandma for a rainy day.
- Meaning: To use or take advantage of an invitation at another, more convenient, time
- Example In A Sentence: I’ll take a rain check on the movies tonight. I still have a lot of studying to do.
It’s raining buckets out there
- Meaning: To imply it is raining very heavily outside.
- Example In A Sentence: Be sure to put on your raincoat, it’s raining buckets out there.
To be rained in
- Meaning: Forced to remain inside due to weather conditions.
- Example In A Sentence: I think we’ll be rained in tonight, so let’s order a pizza.
Charge it to the dust and let the rain settle it
- Meaning: Said when someone is not likely or does expect to pay for something.
- Example In A Sentence: John: “You owe $13.97.” Billy: “Charge it to the dust and let the rain settle it.”
When it rains it pours
- Meaning: When something good or bad happens, likely good or bad things will follow.
- Example In A Sentence: Jake: “Not only did you get the job, but you also got a bonus too.” Garret: “What can I say, when it rains it pours!”
Rain down on (someone or something)
- Meaning: To criticize or praise someone continually
- Example In A Sentence: The boss just loves to rain down on her employees with criticism.
It’s raining pitchforks
- Meaning: To rain very heavy.
- Example In A Sentence: Look outside! It’s raining pitchforks out there!
Right as rain
- Meaning: To be correct.
- Example In A Sentence: Well, he was as right as rain about the score of the game.
Rain-off (British English)
- Meaning: When some event is canceled, due to the rain
- Example In A Sentence: The soccer game is a rain-off.
To Rain stair rods (British English)
- Meaning: To rain very heavily.
- Example In A Sentence: It’s raining stair rods in New York City right now.
Come in out of the rain
- Meaning: To wake up to reality.
- Example In A Sentence: I know it’s hard Monica, but you need to come in out of the rain and accept the fact that your father has left.
- Meaning: A shower.
- Example In A Sentence: Kids, be sure to get in that rain closet tonight so you’re ready for school tomorrow.
And that is going to conclude my list of the top rain idioms. Which one is your favorite?