Are you looking for some good beach idioms?
If so, you certainly in the right place.
Let’s take a look at 16 idioms about the beach.
16 Beach Idioms & Phrases (Meaning & Examples)
1. To Be A Beach Bum
- Meaning: a person that enjoys spending time on the beach and thus visits it often.
- Example In A Sentence: What are you going to do this weekend? Saturday I am going to do nothing but be a beach bum.
2. There Are Plenty More Pebbles On The Beach
- Meaning: There are other more suitable people, opportunities or things
- Related Idioms: There are more fish in the sea.
- Example In A Sentence: Why do you look so sad? I just broke up with David. Don’t worry, there are plenty more pebbles on the beach.
3. A Beached Whale
- Meaning: (slang) used to describe a large or obese person.
- Example In A Sentence: I need to start working out before summer. I don’t want people to think I am a beached whale.
4. To Swim Against The Tide
- Meaning: To act in a way that is contrary to public opinion.
- Example In A Sentence: It would be easier to just do whatever everyone else wants to do, but Jenny seems to always swim against the tide.
5. To Swim With The Tide
- Meaning: to go along with the public opinion or the majority; opposite of swimming against the tide.
- Example In A Sentence: He often swims with the tide because he is afraid of upsetting others.
6. To Make Waves
- Meaning: to cause problems or to make something more difficult.
- Example In A Sentence: I wish John was more helpful, but all he likes to do in the office is to make waves.
7. Beach Bunny
- Meaning: a woman who enjoys spending time on the beach.
- Example In A Sentence: I saw nothing but beach bunnies this weekend.
8. Turn The Tide
- Meaning: to turn something around; to reverse a situation or result.
- Example In A Sentence: The tides have turned. Now I am the boss, and Jack has to do what I tell him.
9. Life’s A Beach
- Meaning: when one’s life is going really well and the person is extremely happy.
- Example In A Sentence: He just got married and now he was just offered his dream job. Wow, life’s a beach for him.
10. Bury One’s Head In The Sand
- Meaning: to avoid a problem by pretending that nothing happened or to not accept the truth about a difficult situation.
- Example In A Sentence: Stop burying your head in the sand every time something bad happens. You need to be strong and take the problems head-on.
11. To Crawl Into One’s Shell
- Meaning: to isolate oneself usually because something embarrassing happened.
- Example In A Sentence: Afer I spilled coffee on the new manager, I felt like crawling into my shell and not talking to anyone.
12. To Come Out Of One’s Shell
- Meaning: when a normally shy person feels more comfortable and thus is more outgoing and sociable.
- Example In A Sentence: Wow, you must make Matt really comfortable because he really came out of his shell tonight.
13. To Have A Whale Of A Time
- Meaning: to have a really good time.
- Example In A Sentence: How was your weekend? It was great! I had a whale of a time.
14. To Be As Red As A Lobster
- Meaning: to get sunburned really bad because of spending too much time at the beach or in the sun.
- Synonyms: To Catch The Sun
- Example In A Sentence: I am as red as a lobster because I forgot to put on sunscreen before leaving the house.
15. To Dip One’s Toes In The Water
- Meaning: to try a new experience for the first time. It is usually done slowly to see if one likes it.
- Example In A Sentence: I just want to dip my toes in the water and see if I like it.
16. To Swim With Sharks
- Meaning: to spend time with dangerous people
- Example In A Sentence: What is up with Tom? He has completely changed? Yeah, he is different now that he is swimming with sharks.
There you have it! 16 beach idioms. Did we miss one? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.