Are you looking for some useful idioms to describe a person?
If so, you are in the right place.
Here we are going to look at 107 different idioms.
Let’s get started.
107 Idioms To Describe A Person Or One’s Personality
1. To Be The Light Of One’s Life
- Meaning: someone that is loved more than others.
- Use In A Sentence: Susan is Jake’s only granddaughter. No wonder she is the light of his life.
2. To Be Happy Go Lucky
- Meaning: a person that always seems to be in a good mood.
- Use In A Sentence: Laurie is such a happy-go-lucky person. It is a pleasure to work with her.
3. To Have One’s Head In The Clouds
- Meaning: to be absentminded. A person that doesn’t know what is going on around them.
- Use In A Sentence: It is difficult to try to solve this problem when half of my team has their head in the clouds.
4. A Leading Light
- Meaning: a person who is viewed as an important member of the group.
- Use In A Sentence: As a leading light of the organization, George was able to help many people find a good-paying job.
5. To Be All Smiles
- Meaning: a person that is visibly cheerful.
- Use In A Sentence: Julie was all smiles after receiving the good news about her brother.
6. To Have A Lead Foot
- Meaning: someone who tends to drive fast.
- Use In A Sentence: Sam’s mom is known to have a lead foot. I am afraid to ride in the car with her.
7. To Be Smokin’
- Meaning: used to describe someone that is attractive or very good-looking.
- Use In A Sentence: The quarterback of the football team was smokin’ and all the girls at school knew it.
8. To Be An Early Bird
- Meaning: a person that often arrives early to an event.
- Use In A Sentence: No surprise to see Paul here so early. He is such an early bird. It drives me nuts.
9. To Breath Fire
- Meaning: A very angry person.
- Use In A Sentence: Mr. Robinson was breathing fire throughout the entire math class.
10. To Have A Sweet Tooth
- Meaning: someone that likes to eat a lot of candy or sweets.
- Use In A Sentence: If you are looking for something sweet to eat, talk to Julie. She has a sweet tooth! She is always carrying some kind of candy in her purse.
11. An Eagle Eye
- Meaning: someone that watches things very carefully and picks up on small details.
- Use In A Sentence: The students complete their tests under the eagle eye of their teacher.
12. To Be As Strong As A Lion
- Meaning: a person who is really strong or someone who is in good physical condition.
- Use in a sentence: When he was young he was as strong as a lion.
13. To Be A Happy Camper
- Meaning: to be in good spirits.
- Use In A Sentence: Mom is not going to be a happy camper when she sees the mess the dog made in the living room.
14. To Be A Guinea Pig
- Meaning: a person that is used for an experiment.
- Use In A Sentence: May didn’t tell her family, but she was using them as guinea pigs to try out her new cookie recipes.
15. To Have A Short Fuse
- Meaning: a person that becomes angry very easily.
- Use In A Sentence: Can you talk to George about it? I am afraid if I ask he will get mad at me. He has such a short fuse.
16. To Talk One’s Arm Off
- Meaning: someone who talks so much that those around them get annoyed or bored.
- Use In A Sentence: If you are planning on talking to Amy be prepared to stay awhile. The last time I went to her house she talked my arm off.
17. On Fire
- Meaning: To describe someone who is very excited, or is on a roll. Also used to describe a person who is performing really well or very enthusiastically.
- Use In A Sentence: Damon won 5 games in a row. He was on fire!
18. One Smart Apple
- Meaning: used to describe a smart person.
- Use In A Sentence: Riley always did great on the final exams. “That boy is one smart apple,” the teacher said, ” he is going to go places.”
19. To Be Flatfooted
- Meaning: a person who is clumsy and awkward.
- Use In A Sentence: I don’t know if it is smart to have Julie carry those items. She is so flatfooted! She might drop them!
20. The Apple Never Falls Far From The Tree
- Meaning: used to describe it when a person behaves in a similar way to their family usually their parents.
- Use In A Sentence: Did you hear that Mark’s son also wants to be a doctor? I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
21. To Smoke Like A Chimney
- Meaning: a person who smokes a lot.
- Use In A Sentence: My grandma hates that grandpa smokes like a chimney, but there is little she can do about it. Everyone makes their own decisions.
22. To Fly Off The Handle
- Meaning: Someone that suddenly gets really angry.
- Use In A Sentence: Every time we talk about grandma, mom flies off the handle about her childhood.
23. To Be A / One Smart Cookie
- Meaning: a smart person or someone that has a lot of good ideas.
- Use In A Sentence: I know Mark looks a little goofy, but he is one smart cookie.
24. To See The Glass As Half Empty
- Meaning: a person that always sees the negative in a given situation.
- Use In A Sentence: Oftentimes when people think about the future they see the glass as half empty.
25. To See The Glass As Half Full
- Meaning: a person that always sees the positive in a situation. To be optimistic.
- Use In A Sentence: Amy is such a positive person. Even when it seems like something is going to fail she always sees the glass as half full.
26. A Wise Apple
- Meaning: a sarcastic person.
- Use In A Sentence: The teacher didn’t like it when John talked back at him. He is such a wise apple. He is going to get himself in trouble one of these days.
27. More Fun Than A Barrel Of Monkeys
- Meaning: a person that is fun to be around.
- Use In A Sentence: Who should I invite to the party? Let’s invite Tom, Jessica, and Diane. They are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
28. A Birdbrain
- Meaning: Someone who makes very poor decisions or a person who is not very smart.
- Use In A Sentence: Jerry is such a birdbrain. He is always making quick decisions without thinking about the consequences.
29. A Cheeky Monkey
- Meaning: A silly or mischievous person.
- Use In A Sentence: Henry is a bit of a cheeky monkey. He is always playing jokes on his younger brother.
30. To Be A Big Fish In A Small Pond
- Meaning: a person who has more experience, knowledge, and power than others in a small field or group of people.
- Use in a sentence: After he changes departments, he will become a big fish in a small pond.
31. To Be A / One Tough Cookie
- Meaning: a determined person who is not easily discouraged or intimidated.
- Use In A Sentence: Even though she may be small in size, Rosalie is one tough cookie.
32. To Be As Cool As A Cucumber
- Meaning: a person who is calm and composed especially during a stressful time.
- Use In A Sentence: Speaking in public doesn’t make Mario very nervous. He is always as cool as a cucumber.
33. To Be An Odd-Fish
- Meaning: (British English) is used to describe a person that is weird or strange.
- Use in a sentence: Angela is sort of an odd-fish. She says the weirdest things in class.
34. A Good Egg
- Meaning: a person you can trust. A kind person.
- Use In A Sentence: Julie is such a good egg. Whenever you have a problem you can count on her to give you a hand.
35. Like A Monkey On A Stick
- Meaning: used to describe a person who is restless.
- Use In A Sentence: I don’t know what his problem is. He can’t sit still. He has been like a monkey on a stick all morning. It is hard to keep up with him.
36. The Apple Of My Eye
- Meaning: Someone that you cherish or highly favor.
- Use In A Sentence: Dave has many grandchildren, but Amy is his only granddaughter. No wonder she is apple of his eye.
37. A Sharp Cookie
- Meaning: a smart, intelligent, clever person.
- Use In A Sentence: He may look a little goofy, but Gerry is one sharp cookie.
38. To Be A Cutie Pie
- Meaning: used as a term of endearment to refer to a cute person, usually a child.
- Use In A Sentence: Good morning, cutie pie! Are you ready for school today?
39. To Be Crooked As A Barrel Of Fish Hooks
- Meaning: a dishonest or deceitful person
- Use in a sentence: I don’t know if you can trust Steve, he is as crooked as a barrel of fish hooks.
40. To Be A Beach Bum
- Meaning: a person that enjoys spending time on the beach.
- Use In A Sentence: What are you going to do this weekend? Saturday I am going to do nothing but be a beach bum.
41. A (Odd, Strange, Queer) Duck
- Meaning: An old, strange, or weird person.
- Use In A Sentence: What did you think of the new guy? He is nice, but he is one strange duck.
42. A Rotten Egg
- Meaning: a bad person.
- Use In A Sentence: I had high hopes for Amy, but she turned out to be a rotten egg.
43. A Cookie Pusher
- Meaning: a lazy person
- Use In A Sentence: You mean to tell me that you didn’t do anything today? I guess you are just being a cookie pusher on your first day of summer vacation.
44. A Cold Fish
- Meaning: Someone that shows little to no emotion. For this reason, they tend to come off as unfriendly or distant to those around them.
- Use in a sentence: He was really nervous about the job interview. I hope he didn’t act like a cold fish.
45. A Beached Whale
- Meaning: (slang) a large or obese person.
- Use In A Sentence: I need to start working out. I don’t want people to think I am a beached whale.
46. To Come Out Of One’s Shell
- Meaning: when a normally shy person feels more comfortable and thus is more outgoing and sociable.
- Use In A Sentence: Wow, you must make Matt really comfortable because he really came out of his shell tonight.
47. To Go Off The Rails
- Meaning: used to describe a person that starts to behave strangely or uncontrollably.
- Use In A Sentence: After his team lost he was really upset. He really went off the rails.
48. To Have Itchy Feet
- Meaning: A person who wants to travel somewhere else.
- Use In A Sentence: Every time I go on Instagram and see other people’s pictures, it gives me itchy feet to go somewhere new.
49. Sunday Driver
- Meaning: an extremely slow driver.
- Use In A Sentence: Why were you so late to work today? I thought you left early. I got stuck behind a Sunday driver who wouldn’t let anyone pass him.
50. As If The Sun Shines Out One’s Backside
- Meaning: an arrogant person.
- Use In A Sentence: Ever since he was promoted he walks around the building as if the sun shines out of her backside.
51. To Be A Hard Egg To Crack
- Meaning: a person or thing that is difficult to understand, deal with, or solve. It can also refer to someone that won’t divulge secrets easily.
- Use In A Sentence: She is one hard egg to crack. She won’t tell what she read in her sister’s diary.
52. To Be One Lucky Duck
- Meaning: an extremely lucky person.
- Use In A Sentence: Harry won the lottery again? He is such a lucky duck.
53. To Be As Nice As Pie
- Meaning: a person who is friendly or pleasant.
- Use In A Sentence: Even though he never smiles, if you talk to him you will quickly see that he is as nice as pie.
54. Sun Worshipper
- Meaning: a person who enjoys spending a lot of time in the sun.
- Use In A Sentence: Judy spent all weekend on the beach. She is such a sun-worshipper.
55. As Blind As A Bat
- Meaning: A person who can’t see very well.
- Use In A Sentence: I hope he didn’t forget to bring his glasses. Without them, he is as blind as a bat.
56. Bag Of Bones
- Meaning: Someone who is extremely thin, usually because they are sick and not eating as much as they should.
- Use In A Sentence: Did you see Janet? She looks sick. Nothing but a bag of bones. I hope she gets better.
- Meaning: slang for someone that is stupid and not intelligent.
- Use In A Sentence: His mechanic is such an egghead. He didn’t install the new part correctly and damaged the engine.
59. To Be Hard Of Hearing
- Meaning: someone who can’t hear very well.
- Use In A Sentence: Doris couldn’t understand what she was trying to tell her over the phone because she is hard of hearing.
60. A Long Drink Of Water
- Meaning: a boring or uninteresting person.
- Use In A Sentence: What did you think of Jessica’s new boyfriend? He sure is a long drink of water. He just sat there all night not saying a thing.
61. A Bookworm
- Meaning: A person who loves to read
- Use In A Sentence: Mya is such a bookworm. I have never seen her without a book in her hand.
62. To Be By The Book
- Meaning: A person who does something according to the rules.
- Use In A Sentence: Chris does everything by the book. I don’t understand how he could have made that mistake.
63. To Be A Bundle Of Nerves
- Meaning: someone who is a very anxious or very nervous person.
- Use In A Sentence: Shannon has been a bundle of nerves over the past week. She is much calmer now that the tests are over.
64. To Be A Shoulder To Cry On
- Meaning: Someone who listens sympathetically to you in times of need.
- Use In A Sentence: Tammy is always looking for a shoulder to cry on so I introduced her to Ben. He is a good listener and will do anything for anyone.
65. Book smart
- Meaning: A person who acquires knowledge from reading and studying, but lacks common sense.
- Use In A Sentence: Jennifer may be book smart, but she has no common sense! How many times do I have to remind her to look both ways before crossing the street?
66. To Have Nerves Of Steel
- Meaning: A person that doesn’t get frightened easily.
- Use In A Sentence: No matter what you do, you can’t scare George. I swear he has nerves of steel.
67. To Have A Heart Of Gold
- Meaning: used to describe a person who is very genuine.
- Use In A Sentence: May has a heart of gold. She is always doing things to help others.
68. As Funny As A Barrel Of Monkeys
- Meaning: Someone who is funny.
- Use In A Sentence: Tom was cracking jokes all morning. That guy is as funny as a barrel of monkeys.
69. To Talk A Blue Streak
- Meaning: A person that speaks a lot and talks very rapidly.
- Use In A Sentence: I didn’t understand anything he said. He talks a blue streak. Did he say our papers are due today?
70. To Have A Green Thumb
- Meaning: Someone who is really successful growing plants or working in a garden.
- Use In A Sentence: Those flowers are beautiful. I didn’t know Julie had a green thumb.
71. A Night Owl
- Meaning: someone who often stays up late because they function better at night than in the morning.
- Use In A Sentence: When I was young, I was a night owl, but now I like to go to bed early.
72. A Big Mouth
- Meaning: a person who talks too much or a person who tells confidential information to others.
- Use In A Sentence: Jessica is such a big mouth. Did you know that she told everyone that Steve and I are a couple?
73. To Laugh Out Of The Other Side Of One’s Mouth
- Meaning: used to describe a person whose emotions changed quickly.
- Use In A Sentence: Initially, I thought he was happy about his new job, but now he is laughing out of the other side of his mouth. He calls me every day complaining about his job.
- Meaning: Someone that is very brave; not afraid of anything.
- Use in a sentence: Their fearless actions show that they are lion-hearted and unstoppable.
- Meaning: a person who talks too much or a person who talks too quickly.
- Use In A Sentence: You can’t say I didn’t warn you about Susan being a motor mouth. She loves to talk.
- Meaning: A person known for not wanting to spend a lot of money.
- Use In A Sentence: I hate to say it, but you are a cheapskate.
77. A Goldbrick
- Meaning: a lazy person.
- Use In A Sentence: Jim is just a lazy brick. He doesn’t do anything but sit around the house and watch TV.
78. A Mud Duck
- Meaning: an ugly person.
- Use In A Sentence: That is one mud duck sitting on that bench over there.
79. To Be A Closed Book
- Meaning: A person that isn’t very open and thus very people know them well.
- Use In A Sentence: Sullivan is a closed book. I don’t think I have ever heard him say anything about his childhood.
80. Potty Mouth
- Meaning: a person who uses a lot of obscenities in their speech.
- Use In A Sentence: Mom doesn’t want us to hang out with Joe. She says that he has a potty mouth.
81. To Be An Open Book
- Meaning: A person is easy to get to know, or is well known
- Use In A Sentence: You can ask Amy anything. She is an open book. She will tell you.
82. To Be Blue Around The Gills
- Meaning: Someone who looks sick; possibly wanting to throw up.
- Use In A Sentence: Are you okay? you look a little blue around the gills. I think I will be fine. I just need a minute to rest.
83. To Be A Sitting Duck
- Meaning: a vulnerable person.
- Use In A Sentence: George felt like a sitting duck walking down the dark alley at night. He felt like at any moment someone was going to jump out and rob him.
84. Smart Mouth
- Meaning: A sarcastic person.
- Use In A Sentence: Stop being such a smart mouth! You need to listen to your mother. She is trying to help you.
85. To Be Full Of Hot Air
- Meaning: A person who lies often.
- Use In A Sentence: Mario is full of hot air. There is no way that girl wants to go out with him.
86. To Put One’s Nose In The Air
- Meaning: a person who thinks a lot of themself.
- Use In A Sentence: Ever since he got that new job, he walks around the office with his nose in the air.
87. To Be A Laughing Stock
- Meaning: A person who is made fun of a lot.
- Use In A Sentence: I can’t wear these shorts. If I do, I will surely be a laughing stock!
88. To Be Pure As The Driven Snow
- Meaning: A morally chaste person.
- Use In A Sentence: I was surprised to hear that about Jessica. I always thought she was pure as the driven snow.
89. Ear Hustler
- Meaning: a person who gossips.
- Use In A Sentence: Be careful what you tell Julie, she is an ear hustler. If you tell her something today, everyone will know by tomorrow.
90. As Cute As A Bug’s Ear
- Meaning: Someone who is cute. Adorable.
- Use In A Sentence: The baby looks as cute as a bug in that outfit.
91. To Be A Wild Card
- Meaning: Someone who is unpredictable.
- Use In A Sentence: She is such a wild card. It is hard to say who she will vote for.
92. Young Blood
- Meaning: a young person or person who has a lot of energy and fresh ideas.
- Use In A Sentence: We need to get some young blood on our team.
- Meaning: Someone who is not very smart or someone acting dumb.
- Use In A Sentence: Would you stop being such a cheesehead and get back to work.
94. To Be Nutty As A Fruitcake
- Meaning: used to refer to someone who is crazy.
- Use In A Sentence: For as long as I can remember Megan has always been nutty as a fruitcake.
95. Mother Hen
- Meaning: an overprotective person.
- Use In A Sentence: Her behavior usually doesn’t bother my mom, but lately Jean has been acting like a mother hen.
96. To Be A Barrel Of Laughs
- Meaning: A person or source of a lot of fun or amusement.
- Use In A Sentence Every time we’re with Johnny, he’s a barrel of laughs!
97. To Lie Like A Rug
- Meaning: Someone who lies often with little or no remorse.
- Use In A Sentence: I don’t believe him. He lies like a rug.
98. As Awkward As A Cow On A Crutch
- Meaning: a clumsy or uncoordinated person.
- Use In A Sentence: Mary will never make the volleyball team. She is as awkward as a cow on a crutch.
99. An Airhead
- Meaning: a stupid or unintelligent person.
- Use In A Sentence: Stop being an airhead and eat your food with a fork.
100. A Fruitcake
- Meaning: Someone who is weird or odd.
- Use In A Sentence: What conspiracy theory is he talking about now? What a fruitcake!
101. As Strong As A Bull
- Meaning: a physically strong person.
- Use In A Sentence: Joe can help you move. He is as strong as a bull.
102. Big Wig
- Meaning: to be an important person; big cheese, big fish.
- Use In A Sentence: How does it feel to be a big wig now that you got that promotion?
103. Space Cadet
- Meaning: Someone who is out of touch with reality.
- Use In A Sentence: I tried to speak with John about the problem, but he is such a space cadet that it was a waste of my time.
104. A Crying Towel
- Meaning: a person who listens to the grief of another and offers sympathy in order to try to make them feel better.
- Use In A Sentence: I am tired of being Michelle’s crying towel. If she has that many problems with Bobby, why don’t they just break up already?
105. To Be One Egg Short Of A Dozen
- Meaning: used to say that someone isn’t very intelligent, crazy, or that person is mentally slow.
- Use In A Sentence: Be careful around Pearl. She has some crazy ideas. She is one egg short of a dozen you know?
106. A Fish Out Of Water
- Meaning: A person who doesn’t feel comfortable in a new environment/situation.
- Use in a sentence: Jane felt like a fish out of water when she first moved to America. However, after many years here, she finally feels like a local.
107. As Sweet As Pie
- Meaning: used to describe a person that is very kind or friendly.
- Use In A Sentence: I love your grandma. She is as sweet as pie.
There you have it! 107 idioms to describe people or one’s personality. Which one is your favorite? Please tell us in the comments below.
If you enjoy this post, you may also enjoy our Idiom Of The Day page. There we post a different idiom every day. Check it out!