The moon is a beautiful light in the light sky and it is for that reason that many idioms were inspired by this gem.
For that reason, in this post, we are going to look at 17 common moon idioms and how to use them.
17 Moon Idioms & Phrases (Meaning & Examples)
1. To Ask/Cry For The Moon
- Meaning: to make an unreasonable request for something that is unattainable.
- Use In A Sentence: I just asked if we could change the date to next Thursday and they are acting like I am asking for the moon.
2. To Be Over The Moon
- Meaning: to be extremely happy and/or excited.
- Use In A Sentence: She was over the moon once she learned her son was coming to visit her.
3. To Cast Beyond The Moon
- Meaning: (British English) to consider unlikely possibilities.
- Use In A Sentence: He encouraged me to cast beyond the moon when thinking about my future.
4. To Go Between The Moon And The Milkman
- Meaning: to flee from a situation overnight.
- Use In A Sentence: He was here last night, but now he is gone. He must have gone between the moon and the milkman.
5. And The Moon Is Made Of Green Cheese
- Meaning: when something appears unreal or unlikely.
- Use In A Sentence: Jerry said he is going to go to work over the weekend. Yeah, and the moon is made of green cheese. I will believe it when I see it.
6. Once In A Blue Moon
- Meaning: a long period of time; very rare.
- Use In A Sentence: I only get to see my friends once in a blue moon now that I study so far away from home.
7. To Promise The Moon
- Meaning: To make a big promise. To promise something that you can’t give or to promise something that is difficult to keep.
- Use In A Sentence: Before they got married, he promised her the moon saying that they would go to Europe and travel the world. However, after 10 years they haven’t even taken a vacation.
8. To Think One Hung The Moon
- Meaning: to think of someone as the best or to view them as perfect.
- Use In A Sentence: IIn her eyes, he can do no wrong. It is like she thinks he hung the moon or something.
9. To Look/Gaze/Stare Off Into Space
- Meaning: to be staring in a certain direction without looking at anything in particular; to be lost in thought.
- Use In A Sentence: After hearing the bad news, he just sat there staring off into space.
10. To Bark/Howl At The Moon
- Meaning: to make an appeal that is unlikely to change
- Use In A Sentence: Asking Bill for time off on a holiday weekend is like barking at the moon.
11. To Moon About Someone Or Something
- Meaning: To be very sad about something or someone; to be depressed.
- Use In A Sentence: Stop mooning about Jeff, there are always more fish in the sea.
12. Bay At The Moon
- Meaning: to waste your time trying to do something that is nearly impossible.
- Use In A Sentence: You are baying at the moon. You need to try something different.
13. To Moon Something Away
- Meaning: to waste your time grieving over something.
- Use In A Sentence: Try to keep your mind off things otherwise you are going to moon the year away.
14. Many Moons Ago
- Meaning: a long time ago.
- Use In A Sentence: Many moons ago, I used to play a lot of football.
15. Reach/Shoot For The Moon
- Meaning: to set high goals to do something difficult.
- Use In A Sentence: I never really liked studying in school, but my mom always told me to shoot for the moon.
16. The Moon On A Stick
- Meaning: to have everything you could want, usually things that are difficult to get.
- Use In A Sentence: What more do you want from me? The moon on a stick? I am sorry, but I can’t give you everything you want. I am doing the best I can.
17. To Love Someone To The Moon And Back
- Meaning: to love someone deeply.
- Use In A Sentence: She started to cry after he told her that he loved her to the moon and back.
There you have it! 17 moon idioms and how to use them. Which one is your favorite? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.