Instructions: Go through the vocabulary below with your students. Next, ask them to use this vocabulary in the conversation section below.
Useful Phrasal Verbs
- To look forward to something: be excited about something that will happen.
Example Sentence: “I am really looking forward to my upcoming vacation to the beach. I can’t wait to relax in the sun and swim in the ocean.”
- To set off: To begin a vacation or trip.
Example Sentence: “We set off on our vacation early in the morning.”
- Lounge around: you spend your time in a relaxed and lazy way.
Example Sentence: “During our vacation, we plan to lounge around the pool and read books.”
- To wind down: To relax and gradually reduce activity or stress during a vacation.
Example Sentence: “After a busy day of sightseeing, it’s nice to wind down in the evening and enjoy a peaceful dinner.”
- To pull in – to reach a destination by train, bus, or car.
Example Sentence: “I saw Grandpa’s car pulling in the driveway.”
Useful Vocabulary Words
- Jet lag
- Road trip
Travel ESL Conversation Questions
1. Tell me something about your last vacation.
2. What is your dream travel destination? Why do you want to visit that place?
3. Do you prefer to travel alone or with others? Why?
4. What are some important things to consider when planning a trip?
5. Have you ever had a travel mishap or unexpected adventure while on a trip? Can you share the story?
6. Where is your favorite place to lounge around and relax?
7. Can you describe a perfect day of lounging around for you?
8. Do you have any favorite movies, TV shows, or books that you like to indulge in when you lounge around?
9. How do you typically go about planning a vacation?
10. Do you prefer to plan your vacations well in advance or do you like to be spontaneous? Why?
11. How do you decide which attractions or activities to include in your itinerary?
12. Have you ever had to deal with unexpected changes or challenges during a vacation? How did you handle them?
13. How do you manage your time effectively while on vacation to make the most of your experience?
14. Do you have any strategies for finding good deals or discounts when booking flights or accommodations?
15. What upcoming event or occasion are you looking forward to the most? Why?
16. Can you think of a time when you looked forward to an event, but it didn’t turn out as expected? What happened?
17. How do you like to wind down after a long day or a busy week?
18. Do you have a specific routine or ritual that helps you wind down before going to bed?
19. Have you ever experienced jet lag? How did it affect you and how did you cope with it?
20. What are some effective ways to overcome jet lag and quickly adjust to a new time zone?
21. Do you like to buy souvenirs when you travel? Why or why not?
22. What are some common types of souvenirs that people purchase when they go on vacation?
23. What is your favorite type of vacation? (e.g., beach, city, adventure)
24. What is the most memorable vacation you have ever taken? Why was it so special?
25. Do you prefer to travel domestically or internationally for your vacations? Why?