Are you looking for some useful pie idioms?
In this post, we are going to look at 17 pie idioms and how to use them.
17 Pie Idioms And Phrases (Meaning & Examples)
1. As Easy As Pie
- Meaning: something that is easy or simple.
- Synonyms: A piece of cake
- Use In A Sentence: Following that recipe was as easy as pie.
2. As Sweet As Pie
- Meaning: used to describe a person that is very kind or friendly.
- Use In A Sentence: I love your grandma. She is as sweet as pie.
3. A Piece Of The Pie
- Meaning: a part of something bigger. To divide something up.
- Synonyms: A piece of cake
- Use In A Sentence: When they decided to sell the business everyone wanted a share of the profits. They all wanted a piece of the pie.
4. As American As Pie
- Meaning: used to someone or something that is American or something that is indicative of the American lifestyle.
- Use In A Sentence: Watching football on Sunday is as American as pie.
5. To Be In Apple-Pie Order
- Meaning: neat or well organized.
- Use In A Sentence: Mark keeps all of his tax records in apple-pie order.
6. To Cut The Pie up
- Meaning: to divide something up among a number of people.
- Use In A Sentence: We made a good profit today. Thanks, everyone for their help. Now how should we cut the pie up so everyone gets a fair share?
7. To Have A Finger In Every Pie
- Meaning: a person that is involved in many different activities.
- Use In A Sentence: Dave is a good CEO. He has a finger in every pie and knows exactly what is going on in the company.
8. To Have A Finger In The Pie
- Meaning: used to describe meddling. Usually used in a negative sense.
- Use In A Sentence: No the banks don’t want the company to go bankrupt. They have a finger in the pie too.
9. To Be As Nice As Pie
- Meaning: a person who is friendly or pleasant. Usually used when you are not expecting the person to be friendly.
- Use In A Sentence: He may look mean because he never smiles, but if you talk to him you will quickly learn that he is as nice as pie.
10. Promises Are Like Pie Crust
- Meaning: Promises are easy to make, but they are also just as easy to break.
- Use In A Sentence: Joe promised me he would help with this project, but I guess promises are like pie crust.
11. To Be A Cutie Pie
- Meaning: a term of endearment used to refer to a cute person, usually a child.
- Use In A Sentence: Good morning, cutie pie! How did you sleep?
12. To Be Pie-Eyed
- Meaning: to open one’s eyes wide due to fright or something surprising; wide-eyed.
- Use In A Sentence: Steve and Jessica couldn’t believe what they were seeing. They didn’t say anything to each other. They just looked on pie-eyed as he finished the race.
13. To Eat Humble Pie
- Meaning: to admit to making a mistake or to talk about something that was really embarrassing.
- Use In A Sentence: David thinks he is the bomb, but one day he will have to eat some humble pie.
14. To Shut One’s Pie Hole
- Meaning: an aggressive or rude way to tell someone to be quiet.
- Use In A Sentence: Shut your pie hole, Megan! No one asked for your opinion.
15. Pie Eating Grin
- Meaning: an overly pleased smile. Usually, one that irritates others.
- Use In A Sentence: Ever since she got a promotion, she walks around work with that same pie-eating grin. It makes me sick!
16. No Matter How You Slice The Pie
- Meaning: no matter how you analyze a situation or problem the consequences are going to be the same.
- Use In A Sentence: We are going to lose money on this business deal no matter how you slice the pie.
17. Pie In The Sky
- Meaning: something that is unlikely to happen; an empty wish.
- Use In A Sentence: He keeps talking about buying a house one day, but it is all a pie in the sky to me.
There you have it! 17 pie idioms. Did we miss one? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.