Instructions: Go through the vocabulary below with your students. Next, ask them to use this vocabulary in the conversation section below.
Useful Phrasal Verbs About Shopping For Clothes
- Try something on – To put on an item of clothing to see if it fits
Example: Let me try on these jeans to see if I like them..
- Dress up – To wear formal clothes for a special occasion.
Example: We’re going to a fancy restaurant tonight, so we should dress up.
- Pick out something – choose one thing from a group
Example: She spent hours picking out the perfect dress for the party.
- Hang up – Put clothes on hangers or hooks for storage.
Example: Can you help me hang up these shirts in the closet?
- Mix and match – To combine different clothing items or accessories to create a desired look.
Example sentence: “I love to mix and match different colors and patterns in my outfits.”
- Shop till you drop – To shop for a long time without getting tired or until you are physically exhausted.
Example sentence: “Sarah loves shopping so much that she can shop till she drops.“
- Fit like a glove – To fit perfectly.
Example sentence: “The new suit fits him like a glove and enhances his appearance.“
Useful Vocabulary Words
Shopping ESL Conversation Questions
1. Do you enjoy shopping for clothes? Why or why not?
2. How important do you think brand names are when you go shopping for clothes?
3. Do you prefer to try on clothes before buying them, or are you comfortable purchasing them without trying them on? Why?
4. Tell me about the last time you dressed up for a special occasion.
5. Tell me about a time when it was difficult to pick out the perfect outfit for a special occasion. What did you do?
6. Do you prefer to shop alone or with friends? Why?
7. Do you like to mix and match clothing items in your wardrobe? If so, what are some of your favorite combinations?
8. How do you feel when you find a great deal or discount while shopping for clothes? Does it influence your purchasing decisions?
9. How do you organize and hang up your clothes in your closet?
10. Do you think you live in a fashionable city?
11. Do you think fashion is more important to women than to men?
12. Do you enjoy shopping for other people?
13. What is more important when it comes to shopping for clothing, comfort, or style?
14. Can you think of any fashion trends that were popular in the past but are not considered trendy anymore? Why do you think trends change over time?
15. How do you think social media has influenced the speed and popularity of fashion trends?