Instructions: Go through the vocabulary below with your students. Next, ask them to use this vocabulary in the conversation section below.
Useful Phrasal Verbs
- To keep at something – to continue doing or trying to do something.
Example Sentence: The crossword puzzle was difficult, but she kept at it and finally solved it.
- To go about something – to do something in a particular way.
Example Sentence: How do you go about getting a driver’s license?
- To brush up on something – to refresh or improve one’s knowledge on a subject.
Example Sentence: I need to brush up on my French before the exam.
- To take something in – to absorb or to learn information.
Example Sentence: The museum exhibits were so fascinating that it took us hours to take it all in.
- To keep up with something -to continue to be informed about something:
Example: It’s important to attend classes regularly to keep up with the material.
Useful Vocabulary Words
ESL Conversation Questions
1 Have you ever needed to brush up on a particular subject or skill? What was it? Why did you feel the need to improve in that particular subject?
2. Are there any skills or knowledge that you would like to brush up on in the future? Why are they important to you?
3. Do you think it’s important for professionals to brush up on their skills and knowledge regularly? Why or why not?
4. When you visit a new city or country, what are some of the things you like to take in?
5. How do you typically take in information or learn new things? Do you prefer reading, listening, or hands-on experiences?
6. How do you go about setting goals for yourself and working towards them? Do you have any specific strategies or techniques?
7. Can you think of a time when you had to go about adapting to a new environment or culture? How did you approach it?
8. Tell me about your education
9. What are the advantages of public school?
10. What improvements does the school system in your country need?
11. What are the qualities of a good student?
12. Does a good education guarantee a good job? Explain your answer.
13. In your opinion, what qualities make a great teacher or professor?
14. How do you think technology has impacted the way we learn and acquire knowledge?
15. What role do you think extracurricular activities play in a student’s overall education and personal development?
16. How has education influenced your personal and career goals? In what ways has it shaped your aspirations?
17. What are the advantages and disadvantages of traditional classroom education versus online learning?
18. Is there a particular skill or hobby that you have kept at for a long time? How has your persistence paid off?
19. How do you stay motivated and focused when you’re trying to keep at a difficult task or goal?
20. How do you keep up with the latest news and current events in your country or around the world?
21. Do you find it challenging to keep up with technological advancements? How do you adapt to new technologies?
22. How important do you think it is to keep up with industry trends and developments in your field of study or profession?