Instructions: Go through the vocabulary below with your students. Next, ask them to use this vocabulary in the conversation section below.
Useful Phrasal Verbs
- To blend in – To become part of a new cultural environment and fit in.
Example Sentence: When I moved to a foreign country, it took some time to blend in and adapt to the local customs.
- To Hand down – To pass on cultural knowledge, traditions, or values from one generation to another.
Example Sentence: My grandmother handed down her recipes, and now I continue the tradition of cooking them.
- To live up to – To meet or fulfill cultural expectations or standards.
Example Sentence: The new superhero movie didn’t live up to the cultural hype and received mixed reviews.
- To Break away – To separate or distance oneself from certain cultural norms or traditions.
Example Sentence: The artist wanted to break away from traditional styles and create something unique.
Useful Vocabulary Words
ESL Conversation Questions
1. Have you ever moved to a new city or country? How did you feel when trying to blend in with the local culture?
2. What are some ways you can blend in when traveling to a foreign country or culture?
3. In your opinion, is it important to blend in when visiting a different culture, or is it okay to maintain your own cultural identity?
4. Have you ever felt like an outsider or struggled to blend in with a particular group or community? How did you handle that situation?
5. Do you have any family traditions or customs that have been handed down through generations? What are they?
6. Are there any skills or knowledge that you would like to hand down to your children or future generations? What are they?
7. What are some expectations that society or your culture has for individuals? Do you feel pressure to live up to those expectations?
8. Can you share a personal experience where you felt proud because you were able to live up to someone’s expectations?
9. Have you ever had the desire to break away from your routine or comfort zone? What did you do?
10. What aspects of your own culture do you take pride in? Why?
11. When people from other countries think about your culture, what do they usually think of?
12. What do you think is important when visiting another culture?
13. If you could change one thing about your culture, what would it be?
14. What is culture shock? Have you ever experienced it?
15. If a group of visitors came to your country, what advice would you give them?
16. Have you ever traveled to a country with a significantly different culture from your own? What did you learn from that experience?
17. How do you think technology and social media have influenced and changed culture?
18. How does culture influence our beliefs, values, and behaviors?
19. What are some customs or traditions that are important in your culture or country? Can you describe them?